WELCOME TO CLASS...

New York Fashion Week- S/S '09 Collections (September 5-12th, 2008)


“Be anxious for nothing…” is a famously quoted Bible passage used to remind people that patience truly is a virtue. For example, the best things come to those who wait for it, and in my case, it’s been a long wait for me to enjoy the experience of New York Fashion Week- all over again.


Once upon a time, I held invitations to exclusive events and shows for companies such as Christian Dior, YSL, TSE New York, BCBG, and the list goes on and on, and as a friend recently told me ‘there’s no better feeling than to be legitimized’ with your own invitation and a seat with your name on it. But in contrast, I had to leave all the glitz and glam behind- four years ago, because I wasn’t in the right frame of mind.

As a young student attending the Fashion Institute of Technology, I was too caught up in the flashing lights… I was partying seven days a week, attending class too little, and drugs became my best friend as I beat the pavement night after night in search of the next best thing. But in those happening places, trouble was there too, and I was eventually hospitalized for flirting with cocaine, heroin, pcp, and hard liquor- some of my errors in decision making.


My fashion fairytale didn’t just end there, that was only the beginning for me because during my hiatus from New York, I rekindled my relationship with God and I apologized to friends and family for the hell I had put them through when I was acting out in the big apple. I eventually re-enrolled into college, attending Morgan State University, and after the past four years, I finally graduated with a degree in Fashion Merchandising… HALLELUJAH!

But, as aforementioned, anxiety played a huge role in my downtime- often getting the best of me because when I left New York, the last job I had was working as a Freelance Fashion Stylist for InStyle Magazine –under direction of the beautiful Ms. Sydne Bolden. And during the years I was laying low in Baltimore, Maryland, I desperately wanted to get back to Manhattan to re-join the magic of the bright lights in the big city… but it just wasn’t my time yet.


I’ve since learned that God has a special plan for us all, and His plans for me were to clean me up, get me back together (spiritually, mentally, totally & completely), allow me to become the founder of FAM- Fashion At Morgan (a prestigious student organization on Morgan State University’s campus), produce several premier fashion show events that gave exposure to burgeoning creative talents, and to finally have me obtain a college degree (so that my ancestors’ blood, sweat and tears were not in vain, in the pursuit of equality and education for all people- fighting against slavery and oppression)!

Fast-forward to present day, God has re-opened those doors of New York… not only for me to now have access to Fashion Week and the glitz and the glam, but for me to be there with a purpose. I now blog for my own on-line publication, STYLE 101 Magazine (which I thank you all for reading right now), and in my free-time, I am a contributor to other great publications such as Bleu Magazine.


During this past weekend to kick-off Fashion Week, not only did I get to see what was being offered on the runways for the Spring/Summer 2009 season, I also got to see Chanel Iman (in-person) with Damon Dash, I caught up with some old friends, and I even ran into my former college roommate from F.I.T.


In essence, I share all of this with you because I know how it feels to want something so bad and then to lose it and want it back again… and I know that there are some of you who may be wondering just how some parts of the fashion industry really work?! Trust me, it’s not all about the glitz and the glam, and there’s always more than meets the eye- within any industry. But, it’s my hope that you will take charge of your life and leave everything in God’s hands, so that you can make a positive change in this world. Don’t be anxious, there is a special plan for all of us, and Jesus paid your bill a long time ago!

Take care, and I hope you will enjoy this outlook on life that God has given me...

God Bless Us All,
Avon L. Dorsey II.
Publisher, STYLE 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

TELL US WHAT YOU THINK! (post it in the box)