WELCOME TO CLASS...

Chucked Taylor's

A CONVERSE-ATIONAL TOPIC...
 
 
When it comes to 'wear-and-tear,' it's usually suppose to derive from a person's repeated use of a product, and not from a manufactured method of making it 'look' like it's been worn...

First of all, I love Converse, and I've been a fan of 'Chuck's' since childhood (begrudgingly -at first- but I quickly grew to love them, as a teen, lol). Secondly, I feel that the creation of their new shoe's existence, "The Chuck Taylor All Star Well Worn Sneaker," is based on a general lack of enthusiasm and/or motivation in today's consumer, and is an easy way for the brand to appeal to a person's desire to 'look cool.'

(Converse advertisement. 2013)

Now, in regards to looking cool, what I do know, is that in many cultures, fashion (a prevailing look/trend), either trickles-up from the masses, to the elite, or it trickles-down from the elite, to the masses; the latter of which probably presented the world with images of young elites (maybe, trust-fund kids), casually wearing high-end designer ensembles paired with ratty/run-down shoes (read: sneakers), which may have -in turn- become an accepted look and a desired reference point for the masses. Moreover, in regards to wear-and-tear, my philosophy is that motivation leads to movement, and movement leads to some type of physical experience, and physical experience leads to some sort of natural wear-and-tear (not just of the body, but also of clothing, shoes and accessories), and presenting someone with an artificial, 'ready-made look' of having had an experience, lends itself to poor judgement and a contrived notion of what it means to actually be alive.

I recall, some years ago (as a student at FIT, in New York), one day when I was casually walking down the street, and I was approached by a young man who expressed his interest in my Chuck Taylor's. His interest wasn't in the color of my shoes or where he could purchase something similar, he was rather concerned with the wear-and-tear and HOW he could achieve my look with his own pair of shoes, sans the years it would take for them to naturally become run-down.
 
Ultimately, as I didn't have a problem with the young man's inquiry (and I don't have a problem with people -today- and their approach towards fast-fashion), my hope is that all of us (fashionistas or not), would want to be motivated to get up, get out and do something in life, so that we might be able to look back and say, "oh, I remember when I wore this, I was headed to... and my jeans got ripped!," or, "OMG, my new shoes got effed up as soon as I hopped on my skateboard and fell down a flight of stairs!," because really, that's the only way to truly live, in your clothes! 

...COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER...
*ALL IMAGE(S), AUDIO AND/OR VIDEO(S) ARE COPYRIGHT OF THE RESPECTIVE OWNER(S), AND ARE USED -HERE- FOR CREATIVE, NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES ONLY... THANK YOU, FOR YOUR SUPPORT!* 
 
Reference: 
www.converse.com 

2 comments:

TELL US WHAT YOU THINK! (post it in the box)